—Carol Wakley, North East, Pennsylvania
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2/3 cup crushed saltines
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple tidbits
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- In a bowl, combine the milk, onion, saltines and seasoned salt. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. With wet hands, shape into 1-in. balls. In a large skillet over medium heat, brown meatballs in small batches, turning often. Remove with a slotted spoon and keep warm. Drain skillet.
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice; set pineapple aside. Add enough water to juice to measure 1 cup. In a bowl, combine the cornstarch, pineapple juice mixture, vinegar, soy sauce, lemon juice and brown sugar until smooth. Add to skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add meatballs. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the pineapple; heat through. Yield: about 6 dozen.
Originally published as Polynesian Meatballs in Taste of Home June/July 2003, p48
Reviews for Polynesian Meatballs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review