Pollo Guisado (Chicken Stew)
Featuring a pretty golden-red color and comforting flavor, this chicken stew will be a welcome entree at any celebration. It's perfect for pairing with red beans and rice.
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + marinating Cook: 55 min.
- 1/2 cup Sofrito
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 envelope Goya Sazon with coriander and annatto
- 1 teaspoon adobo seasoning
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the first four
- ingredients. Add the chicken; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate
- for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- In a large nonstick skillet, brown chicken in oil. Stir in the
- potatoes, water and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil; cover and simmer
- for 45-60 minutes or until chicken is tender. Add additional water
- if necessary. Discard bay leaves before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving equals 360 calories, 21 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 88 mg cholesterol, 511 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 29 g protein.