VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons orange juice concentrate
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- CHOCOLATE FROSTING:
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips, melted
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, concentrate and orange peel. Combine dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Divide dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each portion to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-in. round cookie cutter.
- Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 6-7 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Combine all the frosting ingredients until smooth. Place in a heavy-duty resealable plastic bag; cut a small hole in corner of bag. Pipe polka dots on cookies. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Polka-Dot Cookies in Taste of Home April/May 2000, p65