Polish-Style Sausage 'N' Potatoes Recipe
- 1 package (14 ounces) smoked turkey kielbasa, sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 2 cups sliced potatoes
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1. In a nonstick skillet, brown sausage over medium heat; set aside. For white sauce, melt butter in a saucepan. Stir in flour and seasonings until smooth. Gradually add milk. bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat.
- 2. In a 3-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray, layer a third of the potatoes, cabbage, onion, sausage and white sauce. Repeat layers twice.
- 3. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until the vegetables are tender. Yield: 4 servings.
One serving (1-1/4 cups) equals 298 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 1,249 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 20 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1/2 fat-free milk.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer