Victoria Zmarzley-Hahn of Northampton, Pennsylvania shares a bit of her heritage in this hearty layering of sliced potatoes, cabbage, onion, Polish sausage and white sauce. "I love any dish with cabbage and kielbasa," she says.
- 1 package (14 ounces) smoked turkey kielbasa, sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 2 cups sliced potatoes
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- In a nonstick skillet, brown sausage over medium heat; set aside. For white sauce, melt butter in a saucepan. Stir in flour and seasonings until smooth. Gradually add milk. bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat.
- In a 3-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray, layer a third of the potatoes, cabbage, onion, sausage and white sauce. Repeat layers twice.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until the vegetables are tender. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Polish-Style Sausage 'N' Potatoes in Light & Tasty December/January 2003, p51
Reviews for Polish-Style Sausage 'N' Potatoes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 14, 2010
"very bland with recipe as written. next time I will add some horseradish or spicy mustard. (we added the horseradish after and that made it very good) Prep is more then 10 mins, more like 20 or 30 due to white sauce"
Reviewed Oct. 19, 2009
"Great with extra cabbage too!"