- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 can (27 ounces) sauerkraut, undrained
- 3/4 pound smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (2 to 3 pounds), cut up
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- In a large bowl, combine first four ingredients. Place on the bottom of a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with sausage and chicken. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and thyme.
- Bake at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until chicken is tender and juices run clear, basting occasionally with pan juices. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Polish Poultry in Country October/November 1992, p47
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Polish Poultry
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 25, 2012
Reviewed Jan. 20, 2012
"Is this recipe to be covered while baking, and is the kraut sour without rinseing it first?"
Reviewed Oct. 10, 2011