- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1 pound smoked Polish sausage or kielbasa, cut up
- 3 medium tart apples, peeled and cut into eighths
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup apple juice
- Place half of the sauerkraut in an ungreased 3-qt. slow cooker. Top with sausage, apples, brown sugar, caraway seeds if desired and pepper. Top with remaining sauerkraut. Pour apple juice over all.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until apples are tender. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Polish Kraut and Apples
"Love this! Have made it twice and it is excellent. I cook it on the stovetop for about 30 minutes and serve it with boiled potatoes. Would also be good with pierogis."
"Too sweet. Did not taste like sauerkraut. Will leave out brown sugar next time."
"Awesomeness in a crockpot!"
"I made this with turkey bratwurst instead of Polish sausage, and Cranberry juice instead of apple juice. It came out wonderfully amazing."
"This is FABULOUS. I used Turkey Polish sausage to make it a bit healthier."
"I've made this many times as is the custom to eat sauerkraut on New Year's Day in my family! I'm not big on kraut but like this recipe."
"Simple and surprisingly delicious. I was trying different recipes after picking 33 lbs of apples. I can't wait to make this one again!"
"Did this on the slow cook setting in my oven - I have an electrolux gas stove now and it is perfectly wonderful. This was excellent just as it is written!"
"will make again and again and again. We rate recipes we like with up to five stars. This one got 10! So you can see we really, really enjoyed it. Fantastic. Thank you so much!"