- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1 pound smoked Polish sausage or kielbasa, cut up
- 3 medium tart apples, peeled and cut into eighths
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup apple juice
- Place half of the sauerkraut in an ungreased 3-qt. slow cooker. Top with sausage, apples, brown sugar, caraway seeds if desired and pepper. Top with remaining sauerkraut. Pour apple juice over all.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until apples are tender. Yield: 4 servings.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Polish Kraut and Apples
Sort By :
"Love this! Have made it twice and it is excellent. I cook it on the stovetop for about 30 minutes and serve it with boiled potatoes. Would also be good with pierogis."
"Too sweet. Did not taste like sauerkraut. Will leave out brown sugar next time."
"Awesomeness in a crockpot!"
"I made this with turkey bratwurst instead of Polish sausage, and Cranberry juice instead of apple juice. It came out wonderfully amazing."