Polish Kraut and Apples
My family loves this hearty, heartwarming meal on cold winter nights. The tender apples, brown sugar and smoked sausage gave this dish fantastic flavor. I like making it because the prep time is very short. #151;Caren Markee, Crystal Lake, Illinois
4 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1 pound smoked Polish sausage or kielbasa, cut up
- 3 medium tart apples, peeled and cut into eighths
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup apple juice
- Place half of the sauerkraut in an ungreased 3-qt. slow cooker. Top
- with sausage, apples, brown sugar, caraway seeds if desired and
- pepper. Top with remaining sauerkraut. Pour apple juice over all.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until apples are tender.
- Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 546 calories, 31 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 81 mg cholesterol, 1,630 mg sodium, 52 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 15 g protein.
Wine: Medium-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer