My family loves this hearty, heartwarming meal on cold winter nights. The tender apples, brown sugar and smoked sausage gave this dish fantastic flavor. I like making it because the prep time is very short. #151;Caren Markee, Crystal Lake, Illinois
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1 pound smoked Polish sausage or kielbasa, cut up
- 3 medium tart apples, peeled and cut into eighths
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup apple juice
- Place half of the sauerkraut in an ungreased 3-qt. slow cooker. Top with sausage, apples, brown sugar, caraway seeds if desired and pepper. Top with remaining sauerkraut. Pour apple juice over all.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until apples are tender. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Polish Kraut and Apples in Quick Cooking January/February 2000, p29
Reviews for Polish Kraut and Apples
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review