- 4 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 1-1/2 pounds smoked Polish sausage or kielbasa, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 jar (16 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- 1-1/3 cups 2% milk
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and transfer to a large bowl. Stir in sausage, soup, sauerkraut, 2 cups cheese, milk, onions, mustard and garlic.
Spoon into two greased 8-in.-square baking dishes; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, 45-50 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.
Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked casserole up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake, uncovered,50-55 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Yield: 2 casseroles (6 servings each).
Reviews for Polish Casserole
Sort By :
"Our family really liked this. We used Polish kielbasa, which I didn't have to brown - just sliced it and added it. The Dijon, garlic, sauerkraut and kielbasa make for a flavorful dish. I only had Swiss cheese slices; i just spread them on top and they worked fine."
"This was absolutely wonderful! I love that I could freeze one and that turned out just as the first. I don't know why anyone would rinse sauerkraut. Kind of defeats the purpose. This is a regular on our menu. I sliced and browned the sausage- it gave it a wonderful flavor. Didn't use mustard as I am not a fan."
"I made this recipe because my husband likes sauerkraut and sausage. I did not care for it because I don't like sauerkraut. My husband liked it ok, it wasn't a hit but it wasn't bad either. He said it didn't have a strong enough sauerkraut flavor. I don't know if I'll make it again, but if I do, I won't rinse the sauerkraut."
"Absolutely loved this recipe. I added an additional cup of cheese to it because we love cheese. I'll definately make this often."
"I made this for our family dinner. Everyone loved it. The flavor is delicious. The adult guys had at least three helpings each and my 6 year old grand daughter had at least two helpings. The only things I changed was I used farfalle (bow tie pasta) and cheddar cheese rather than Swiss."