Polish Beet Cake Recipe
I MAKE this cake a lot because everyone loves it. It’s a hit for all occasions. The secret is not to tell anyone it’s a beet cake. The beet flavor doesn’t take over but makes the cake nice and moist. --Patricia Skalitzky, Oxford, Wisconsin
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 40 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling YIELD:12 servings
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 can (15 ounces) diced beets, drained
- 1 cup canola oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a large bowl, beat the sugar, beets, oil, eggs, chocolate and vanilla until well blended. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended. Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 3. For frosting, in a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat vanilla. Gradually beat in milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, until smooth. Frost top and sides of cake. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 571 calories, 36 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 95 mg cholesterol, 448 mg sodium, 59 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC