Polenta with Italian Sausage Recipe
- 4 cups water, divided
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound Italian sausage links
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a small bowl, combine 1 cup water and cornmeal. In a saucepan, bring salt and remaining water to a boil. Slowly stir in cornmeal mixture. Reduce heat; cook for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the sausage and garlic over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink; drain. Cool slightly. Cut sausage into 1-in. pieces; return to skillet. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste and parsley; bring to a boil. Remove from the heat.
- 3. Spread half of the cornmeal mixture in a serving dish; top with half of the sausage mixture. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 267 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 1057mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 5g fiber), 12g protein .
Reviews for Polenta with Italian Sausage
"This was the perfect recipe I was looking for; it spiced up the polenta, but did not require a lot of time to prepare. I had the Italian Sausage already cooked, so it cut the time down even further. Since my family likes garlic, I added an extra clove to the recipe. I used tomato sauce, in place of the stewed tomatoes, because that is what I had on hand. The recipe probably would have been better with stewed tomatoes, but it turned out fine anyway. When I make this recipe again, I will probably use basil in place of the parsley?more Italian and better liked in my house. Overall, great recipe."
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.