Polenta Rounds with Sausage Ragout
“Fried polenta is fabulous with an endless variety of toppings inspired not only from Italian, but other cuisines, like Mexican (black beans and corn), French (mushroom ragout) or Creole (spicy shrimp).” —Lisa Speer, Palm Beach, Florida
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic, drained
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 1 tube (1 pound) polenta, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, cook sausage and garlic over medium heat until no
- longer pink; drain. Stir in tomatoes and pepper. Cook and stir for
- 4-5 minutes or until heated through. Remove from the heat; stir in
- In another skillet, cook polenta slices in oil over medium-high heat
- for 3-4 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Serve with
- sausage mixture; sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup sauce with 3 polenta slices equals 506 calories, 33 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 54 mg cholesterol, 2,062 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 20 g protein.