Polenta Rounds with Sausage Ragout Recipe
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic, drained
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 1 tube (1 pound) polenta, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, cook sausage and garlic over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in tomatoes and pepper. Cook and stir for 4-5 minutes or until heated through. Remove from the heat; stir in basil.
- 2. In another skillet, cook polenta slices in oil over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Serve with sausage mixture; sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
1 cup sauce with 3 polenta slices: 506 calories, 33g fat (9g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 2062mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 3g fiber), 20g protein .
Reviews for Polenta Rounds with Sausage Ragout
"I used mild Italian turkey sausage and added zuchini for some extra vegetables. I have also served it over couscous instead of polenta. Delicious either way!"
"Served the easy/yummy sauce over creamy polenta instead since I couldn't find a tube of it... Basically the same taste, just in a different presentation... I loved this meal!"
"This was delicious! Used sundried tomato & garlic polenta and added a can of basil tomato sauce to the sauce."
"had a hard time finding polenta, found it in the produce section in 3 flavors-garlic/basil, original, and sundried tomato- went for the garlic basil, so simple!"
"very flavorful! this came together very quickly. I added a can of tomato sauce and it was delicious!! very good over pasta also!!"
"Very simple and quick. Definite keeper."
"Easy, different and delicious. Had to make the polenta but it was easy also. Hardly any mess."
"I loved this recipe! I used hot Italian turkey sausage. A keeper! So easy."
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.