“Fried polenta is fabulous with an endless variety of toppings inspired not only from Italian, but other cuisines, like Mexican (black beans and corn), French (mushroom ragout) or Creole (spicy shrimp).” —Lisa Speer, Palm Beach, Florida
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic, drained
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 1 tube (1 pound) polenta, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, cook sausage and garlic over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in tomatoes and pepper. Cook and stir for 4-5 minutes or until heated through. Remove from the heat; stir in basil.
- In another skillet, cook polenta slices in oil over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Serve with sausage mixture; sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Polenta Rounds with Sausage Ragout in Simple & Delicious June/July 2011, p23
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Polenta Rounds with Sausage Ragout
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review