“This warm, Italian-flavored appetizer also makes a quick, filling lunch. I prefer this veggie version, but my kids like to add pepperoni or sausage to create mini pizzas.” —Carolyn Kumpe, El Dorado, California
16 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 tube (1 pound) polenta, cut into 16 slices
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup tomato basil pasta sauce, warmed
- 1/2 pound fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 16 slices
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Fresh basil leaves, optional
- Preheat oven to 425°. Place polenta in a greased 15x10x1-in.
- baking pan; brush with olive oil. Bake 15-20 minutes or until edges
- are golden brown.
- Spoon pasta sauce over polenta slices. Top each with a mozzarella
- cheese slice; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Bake
- 3-5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Garnish with basil if
- desired. Yield: 16 appetizers.
Nutritional Facts: 1 appetizer equals 108 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 12 mg cholesterol, 273 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Wine: Light-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot