Our Test Kitchen created this delicious vegetarian bean and polenta bake that combines spicy chili, mixed veggies and homemade polenta. It's a warm and comfy casserole that is sure to please everyone, vegetarian or not.
Recommended: 38 Ultimate Chili Recipes
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups yellow cornmeal
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) vegetarian chili with beans
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables, thawed and well drained
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large heavy saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil. Reduce heat to a gentle boil; slowly whisk in cornmeal. Cook and stir with a wooden spoon 15-20 minutes or until polenta is thickened and pulls away cleanly from sides of pan.
- Remove from heat. Stir in 1/4 cup cheddar cheese until melted.
- Spread into a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, 20 minutes. Meanwhile, heat chili according to package directions.
- Spread vegetables over polenta; top with chili. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 12-15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Polenta Chili Casserole in Simple & Delicious March/April 2007, p57
Reviews for Polenta Chili Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 16, 2014
"Add a dollop of sour cream on top to make it extra yummy!!! A WONDERFUL meal!!!"
Reviewed Feb. 28, 2012
Reviewed Jan. 27, 2011
"Very tasty meatless meal. Its important to bake the polenta until its light brown on top, or else it really is too soggy."