Poblanos Stuffed with Chipotle Turkey Chili Recipe
As an emergency room doctor, I like to make dishes that are healthy without sacrificing great taste. These yummy stuffed peppers are family-friendly and nutritious, too. —Sonali Ruder, New York, New York
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. Bake: 10 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 8 poblano peppers
- 1 package (20 ounces) lean ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8-3/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 tablespoon minced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 2 teaspoons adobo sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro, divided
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1. Broil peppers 4 in. from the heat until skins blister, about 5 minutes. With tongs, rotate peppers a quarter turn. Broil and rotate until all sides are blistered and blackened. Immediately place peppers in a large bowl; cover and let stand for 20 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook the turkey, onion and garlic in oil until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomatoes, corn, chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, salt, cumin, chili powder and pepper; heat through. Remove from the heat; stir in 2 tablespoons cilantro. Set aside.
- 3. Peel off and discard charred skins from poblanos. Cut a lengthwise slit down each pepper, leaving the stem intact; remove membranes and seeds. Fill each pepper with 1/2 cup turkey mixture.
- 4. Place peppers in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with remaining cilantro. Serve with sour cream. Yield: 4 servings.
2 stuffed peppers with 2 tablespoons sour cream equals 539 calories, 28 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 147 mg cholesterol, 1,180 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 38 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC