As an emergency room doctor, I like to make dishes that are healthy without sacrificing great taste. These yummy stuffed peppers are family-friendly and nutritious, too. —Sonali Ruder, New York, New York
- 8 poblano peppers
- 1 package (20 ounces) lean ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8-3/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 tablespoon minced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 2 teaspoons adobo sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro, divided
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- Broil peppers 4 in. from the heat until skins blister, about 5 minutes. With tongs, rotate peppers a quarter turn. Broil and rotate until all sides are blistered and blackened. Immediately place peppers in a large bowl; cover and let stand for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook the turkey, onion and garlic in oil until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomatoes, corn, chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, salt, cumin, chili powder and pepper; heat through. Remove from the heat; stir in 2 tablespoons cilantro. Set aside.
- Peel off and discard charred skins from poblanos. Cut a lengthwise slit down each pepper, leaving the stem intact; remove membranes and seeds. Fill each pepper with 1/2 cup turkey mixture.
- Place peppers in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with remaining cilantro. Serve with sour cream. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Poblanos Stuffed with Chipotle Turkey Chili in Country Woman August/September 2009, p31
Reviews for Poblanos Stuffed with Chipotle Turkey Chili
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review