Poached Pears with Vanilla Sauce Recipe
This dessert is a great ending to a special-occasion meal. Whole pears are lightly spiced and chilled, then served with a heavenly custard sauce.Al Latimer, Bentonville, Arizona
- 2-1/3 cups sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 10 cups water, divided
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, divided
- 6 medium firm pears, stems attached
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 3 whole cloves
- In a heavy 2-qt. saucepan, combine 1/3 cup sugar and cornstarch; gradually stir in milk and cream until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Gradually add a small amount of hot mixture to egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Cook and stir over medium-low heat for 15 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly (do not boil). Stir in vanilla. Pour into a bowl; place a piece of waxed paper or plastic wrap on top of sauce. Cover and refrigerate.
- In a large bowl, combine 6 cups water and 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Carefully peel pears, leaving stems attached. Immediately plunge pears into lemon water. In a large saucepan, combine lemon peel, and the remaining sugar, water and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Add cinnamon stick, cloves and pears. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until pears are tender.
- Carefully remove pears to a plate. Discard cinnamon stick and cloves. Drizzle syrup over pears. Loosely cover and refrigerate for 2-3 hours. To serve, place pears on dessert plates; drizzle with chilled vanilla sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Poached Pears with Vanilla Sauce in Taste of Home October/November 2001, p53
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Poached Pears with Vanilla Sauce(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review