Poached Pears with Orange Cream Recipe
- 2 medium firm pears
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup dry red wine or red grape juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/8 teaspoon orange extract
- Additional grated orange peel, optional
- 1. Core pears from the bottom, leaving stems intact. Peel pears; cut a small slice from the bottom of each to level if necessary. Place pears on their sides in a large saucepan. Add the water, wine, sugar and vanilla. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes or until pears are almost tender, turning once.
- 2. Meanwhile, combine the sour cream, confectioners' sugar, orange peel and extract. Refrigerate until serving.
- 3. Remove pears with a slotted spoon; cool to room temperature. Discard cooking liquid. Place pears on dessert plates. Serve with orange cream. Garnish with additional grated orange peel if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
1 each: 239 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 23mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 5g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Poached Pears with Orange Cream
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.