- 2 medium firm pears
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup dry red wine or red grape juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/8 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Orange Extract
- Additional grated orange peel, optional
- Core pears from the bottom, leaving stems intact. Peel pears; cut a small slice from the bottom of each to level if necessary. Place pears on their sides in a large saucepan. Add the water, wine, sugar and vanilla. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes or until pears are almost tender, turning once.
- Meanwhile, combine the sour cream, confectioners' sugar, orange peel and extract. Refrigerate until serving.
- Remove pears with a slotted spoon; cool to room temperature. Discard cooking liquid. Place pears on dessert plates. Serve with orange cream. Garnish with additional grated orange peel if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Poached Pears with Orange Cream in Healthy Cooking February/March 2009, p57
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Poached Pears with Orange Cream
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review