Poached Pears with Mixed Greens Recipe
- 2 medium ripe Bartlett pears
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or grape juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 8 cups fresh arugula or baby spinach
- 2 cups torn curly or Belgian endive
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1. Peel, core and quarter the pears. Place cut side down in an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Add wine or grape juice. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon liquid. Cool pears to room temperature.
- 2. For dressing, in a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, sugar, oil, salt, cayenne, pepper and reserved poaching liquid. Thinly slice the pears. In a large salad bowl, combine the arugula, endive and pears. Drizzle with dressing; toss to coat. Sprinkle with blue cheese and walnuts. Yield: 10 servings.
1 each: 66 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 113mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein .
Reviews for Poached Pears with Mixed Greens
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.