VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 medium ripe Bartlett pears
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or grape juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 8 cups fresh arugula or baby spinach
- 2 cups torn curly or Belgian endive
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- Peel, core and quarter the pears. Place cut side down in an 11x7-in. baking dish. Add wine or grape juice. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon liquid. Cool pears to room temperature.
- For dressing, in a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, sugar, oil, salt, cayenne, pepper and reserved poaching liquid. Thinly slice the pears. In a large salad bowl, combine the arugula, endive and pears. Drizzle with dressing; toss to coat. Sprinkle with blue cheese and walnuts. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Poached Pears with Mixed Greens in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2007, p14