Poached Pears with Chocolate Sauce Recipe
A simple baked pear becomes an elegant dessert when drizzled with chocolate sauce that's laced with cinnamon, vanilla and nutmeg. This light and lovely dessert is from Payson, Arizona's Patti Haggard.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 35 min. YIELD:2 servings
- 2 medium firm pears
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- 1 cinnamon stick (2 inches)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1. Core pears from bottom, leaving stems intact. Peel pears. Cut 1/4 in. from bottom to level if necessary. Place in a large saucepan; add the water, vanilla, cinnamon stick and nutmeg. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes or until pears are almost tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cocoa, cornstarch and cinnamon. Gradually whisk in milk until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Cool.
- 3. Drain pears; place on dessert plates. Drizzle with chocolate sauce. Yield: 2 servings.
1 pear with 3 tablespoons sauce equals 187 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 23 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC