I adapted this recipe from a dish I had in Napa Valley. I decided to add toasted bread crumbs as a garnish. The result was a breakfast option that everyone loves.—Jennifer Tidwell, Fair Oaks, California.
Featured In: 40+ Satisfying Low-Carb Breakfasts
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 4 large eggs
- Place 3 in. of water in a large skillet with high sides; bring to a boil. Add asparagus; cook, uncovered, 2-4 minutes or until asparagus turns bright green. Remove asparagus and immediately drop into ice water. Drain and pat dry.
- In a separate large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute. Add asparagus, tarragon, salt and pepper; cook asparagus 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender, turning occasionally. Remove from pan; keep warm. In same skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add bread crumbs; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until toasted. Remove from heat.
- Add 2-3 in. fresh water to skillet used to cook asparagus. Bring to a boil; adjust heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Break cold eggs, one at a time, into a small bowl; holding bowl close to surface of water, slip egg into water.
- Cook eggs, uncovered, 3-4 minutes or until whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken but are not hard. Using a slotted spoon, lift eggs out of water; serve over asparagus. Sprinkle with toasted bread crumbs. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Poached Eggs with Tarragon Asparagus in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes Annual 2016, p77
Reviews for Poached Eggs with Tarragon Asparagus
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review