Poached Eggs with Asparagus and Lemon Butter Recipe
This elegant egg dish is a cinch to make, and it’s bursting with spring flavor. Include it on a brunch menu, with assorted fruit and sides, when fresh asparagus is abundant.—Holly Gomez, Seabrook, New Hampshire
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh tarragon or 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, divided
- 16 fresh asparagus spears, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 4 eggs
- 2 English muffins, split and toasted
- Dash pepper
- 1. In a small bowl, combine butter, parsley, tarragon, lemon juice and peel and a dash of salt; chill until serving.
- 2. In a large saucepan, place steamer basket over 1 in. of water. Place asparagus in basket. Bring water to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer; steam, covered, 3-4 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- 3. Meanwhile, place 2-3 in. of water in a large skillet with high sides; add vinegar. Bring to a boil; adjust heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Break cold eggs, one at a time, into a custard cup or saucer; holding cup close to surface of water, slip eggs into water.
- 4. Cook, uncovered, 3-5 minutes or until whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken but are not hard. Using a slotted spoon, lift eggs out of water.
- 5. Spread 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon butter over each English muffin half; top with 4 asparagus spears, 1 egg and another 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon butter. Sprinkle with pepper and remaining salt. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving equals 258 calories, 17 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 242 mg cholesterol, 355 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 11 g protein.
Reviews for Poached Eggs with Asparagus and Lemon Butter
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC