Poached Eggs in Stewed Tomatoes
I found this meatless dish in a recipe book I purchased along with a bag of Walla Walla sweet onions at a farm stand. When I ask my husband if he has any suggestions for dinner he often comes up with this.
8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 to 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, saute the onion, carrot, celery, green pepper and
- garlic in oil until tender. Stir in the tomatoes, honey, chili
- powder, salt, pepper and bay leaf. Simmer, uncovered, for 15-20
- minutes or until thickened. Discard bay leaf.
- With a spoon, make eight indentations in the tomato mixture. Break
- eggs into indentations. Cover and cook over low heat for 10 minutes
- or until whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken.