Plum Upside-Down Cake Recipe
Since my husband liked pineapple upside-down cake, I decided to give this recipe a try one night when we were expecting guests for dinner. Everyone pronounced this cake "Delicious!" and asked for seconds.—Bobbie Talbott, Veneta, Oregon
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 pounds fresh plums, pitted and halved
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- Whipped cream, optional
- 1. Melt butter in a 10-in. cast-iron or oven proof skillet. Sprinkle brown sugar over butter. Arrange plum halves, cut side down, in a single layer over sugar; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat eggs until thick and lemon-colored; gradually beat in sugar. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to egg mixture and mix well. Blend water and lemon extract; beat into batter. Pour over plums.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Immediately invert onto a serving plate. Serve warm with whipped cream if desired. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 258 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 59 mg cholesterol, 178 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC