Plum Upside-Down Cake Recipe
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 pounds fresh plums, pitted and halved
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- Whipped cream, optional
- Melt butter in a 10-in. cast-iron or oven proof skillet. Sprinkle brown sugar over butter. Arrange plum halves, cut side down, in a single layer over sugar; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs until thick and lemon-colored; gradually beat in sugar. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to egg mixture and mix well. Blend water and lemon extract; beat into batter. Pour over plums.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Immediately invert onto a serving plate. Serve warm with whipped cream if desired. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews for Plum Upside-Down Cake(3)
Sort By :
made this for dessert tonight- not impressed at all for this recipe. the cake was very dense and heavy - not what I expected. and the recipe needed more sugar - following directions, the cake was very tart
I forgot to flip it immediately and it still came out mostly nicely.
We have a Santa Rosa plum tree in our yard. I have made this recipe with our plums for the last four years. My co-workers and family beg for more plum cake.