- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-3/4 to 2 pounds medium plums, pitted and halved
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- Whipped cream, optional
- Melt butter in a 10-in. cast-iron or ovenproof skillet. Sprinkle brown sugar over butter. Arrange plum halves, cut side down, in a single layer over sugar; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs until thick and lemon-colored; gradually beat in sugar. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to egg mixture and mix well. Blend water and lemon extract; beat into batter. Pour over plums.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Immediately invert onto a serving plate. Serve warm with whipped cream if desired. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews for Plum Upside-Down Cake
"I made this with rhubarb (with a little extra sugar) for Easter last year. My family ate the whole thing. The cake itself is fabulous, so I'm sure it would be great with plums, too."
"it's sooo GOOD! this has to have five stars!! we put a less sugar and it was tart but, it was YUMMY!!"
"I forgot to flip it immediately and it still came out mostly nicely."
"We have a Santa Rosa plum tree in our yard. I have made this recipe with our plums for the last four years. My co-workers and family beg for more plum cake."