Plum Tomatoes with Balsamic Vinaigrette
Sliced plum tomatoes and red onion are tossed with a homemade vinaigrette to create this summery salad. Fresh basil adds the flavorful finishing touch.
—Ann Sobotka of Glendale, Arizona
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 10 min.
- 6 medium plum or heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced red onion
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 fresh basil leaves, snipped
- In a large bowl, gently combine tomatoes and onion. In a small bowl,
- whisk the vinegar, oil, sugar, salt, garlic powder and pepper. Pour
- over tomato mixture; toss gently to coat. Sprinkle with basil. Serve
- at room temperature with a slotted spoon. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (1 cup) equals 114 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 93 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 fat.