Plum Streusel Kuchen Recipe
This recipe is actually called ”platz” in German, meaning ”flat,” and has been in my family since before I was born. The fresh fruits of summer make it a favorite, and it’s simply wonderful warm out of the oven.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 6 fresh plums, sliced
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar and baking powder; cut in shortening until mixture resembles fine crumbs. In another bowl, whisk egg and cream; add to crumb mixture, tossing gently with a fork until mixture forms a ball.
- 2. Press dough into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Arrange plums over crust.
- 3. For topping, in a small bowl, combine flour and sugar; cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Add cream, mixing gently with a fork until moist crumbs form. Sprinkle over plums.
- 4. Bake 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack. Yield: 12-15 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 237 calories, 10 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 43 mg cholesterol, 80 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC