I remember my mother making plum kuchen. She never followed a recipe, but this recipe tastes like hers.
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 medium plums, pitted and halved
- Whipped cream and additional ground nutmeg, optional
- In a bowl, beat the eggs, milk and butter. Combine the flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon, salt and nutmeg; add to the egg mixture and beat just until combined.
- Pour into a greased 9-in. round baking pan. Place plums cut side up over batter. Combine remaining sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over the top. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Serve with whipped cream and sprinkle with nutmeg if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Plum Kuchen in Country August/September 2002, p51
Reviews for Plum Kuchen
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review