Plum-Glazed Lamb Recipe
- 1 bone-in leg of lamb (4 to 5 pounds)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) plums, pitted
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°. Place lamb on a rack in a shallow baking pan, fat side up. Season with salt and pepper. Bake, uncovered, 1-3/4 to 2-1/4 hours or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°).
- 2. Meanwhile, drain plums, reserving 1/2 cup syrup. In a food processor, place the plums, reserved syrup, garlic, lemon juice, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and basil. Cover and process until smooth; set aside half of the plum sauce.
- 3. Baste lamb every 15 minutes during the last hour of roasting. In a small saucepan, simmer reserved sauce 5 minutes; serve with meat. Yield: 6 servings.
5 ounces cooked lamb equals 338 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 137 mg cholesterol, 283 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 39 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.