Plum-Glazed Cornish Hens Recipe
The homemade plum sauce that's baked onto these tender Cornish hens is wonderful. "Save this recipe for your best company," recommends Annie Tompkins of Deltona, Florida. "I often sprinkle the hens with toasted coconut for a different taste sensation."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours YIELD:4-6 servings
- 4 large navel oranges, sliced
- 4 Cornish game hens (20 to 24 ounces each), split lengthwise
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) plums, pitted, drained
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup thawed lemonade concentrate
- 1/3 cup chili sauce
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup flaked coconut, toasted, optional
- 1. Arrange orange slices in two greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes. Top with game hens; sprinkle with pepper. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, place plums in a food processor; cover and process until smooth. Set aside. In a large skillet, saute onion in butter until tender; stir in lemonade concentrate, chili sauce, soy sauce, mustard, ginger, Worcestershire sauce and plums. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set 1 cup of sauce aside. Spoon remaining sauce over hens.
- 3. Bake 30-45 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 180°, basting occasionally with pan drippings. Sprinkle with coconut if desired. Serve with reserved plum sauce. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 456 calories, 22 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 119 mg cholesterol, 969 mg sodium, 48 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 20 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC