Plum Coffee Loaf Recipe
I've baked this moist bread for so long that I don't recall where I got the recipe. A simple-to-make plum filling and hot roll mix make it easy to whip up on Christmas morning.
- 1 package (16 ounces) hot roll mix
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 can (30 ounces) purple plums, drained, halved and pitted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- Prepare and knead hot roll mix according to package directions. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll into a 15-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Brush with butter. Place plums, cut side down, lengthwise down the center third of rectangle. Combine sugar, cinnamon and cloves; sprinkle over plums.
- Fold both long sides of dough over filling; pinch seam to seal and tuck ends under. Place a greased baking sheet on work surface next to loaf. Carefully slide loaf onto baking sheet. With a sharp knife, make slashes 1 in. apart across top of loaf. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. For glaze, combine confectioners' sugar, extract and enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Drizzle over warm loaf. Sprinkle with almonds. Yield: 1 loaf.
Originally published as Plum Coffee Loaf in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2001, p19
Reviews for Plum Coffee Loaf(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review