Plum Apple Butter
Use the season's freshest fruits to create your own spread for breads and crackers. This creamy, fruity butter is perfect for a warm summer day. —Nancy Michel, Lakeland, Florida
10 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min. + cooling
- 3 medium fresh plums, pitted and quartered
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and quartered
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash ground allspice
- Place the plums, apples and water in a large saucepan. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until
- tender. Cool slightly.
- Place in a blender; cover and process until pureed. Return all to the
- saucepan. Add sugar and spices; return to a boil. Reduce heat;
- simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until thickened, stirring
- Cool to room temperature. Cover and store in the refrigerator for up
- to 3 weeks. Yield: 1-1/4 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 2 tablespoons equals 82 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, trace sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, trace protein.