Pleasing Potato Pie
After a hectic day of teaching junior high, I often headed to the quiet of my kitchen for peace! Now that I'm retired, cooking has replaced teaching as my first love. I especially like to serve this hearty dish for a relaxing weekend brunch.
4-6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 2 cups shredded peeled potatoes (about 1 pound)
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup chopped fully cooked ham
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Combine potatoes, 1/2 cup cheese and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Press onto
- the bottom and up the sides of a greased 9-in. pie plate.
- In a bowl, beat eggs and milk. Add ham, onion, pepper and remaining
- cheese and salt; pour over potato crust (dish will be very full).
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the
- center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.
- Yield: 4-6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 263 calories, 14 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 187 mg cholesterol, 929 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 17 g protein.
Wine: Sparkling Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.