Plantation Gingerbread Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup molasses
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 to 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Additional nutmeg
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs; beat on low speed for 2 minutes. Stir in the molasses and hot water. Combine flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Beat just until combined.
- 2. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- 3. In a chilled small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar, beat until soft peaks form. Serve with gingerbread. Sprinkle with nutmeg if desired. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 piece: 343 calories, 18g fat (11g saturated fat), 91mg cholesterol, 294mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein
Reviews for Plantation Gingerbread
"Very yummy! moist and flavorful."
"Delicious! I'm not even a huge Gingerbread fan and I could have eaten the entire cake myself!"