- 2 packages (10 to 12 ounces each) vanilla or white chips
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 7 cups crisp rice cereal
- 1 cup salted peanuts
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons water
- 4-1/2 teaspoons meringue powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Red and blue food coloring
- Red, blue and white sprinkles
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine the vanilla chips and peanut butter. Microwave, uncovered, at 50% power for 1-1/2 to 3-1/2 minutes or until melted; stir until smooth. Stir in cereal and peanuts. Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. pan. Let stand at room temperature until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Divide the pan of bars in half. On one half, cut out stars using a greased 2-1/2-in. star-shaped cookie cutter. Cut remaining half into 3-1/4-in. x 1-1/4-in. bars for stripes.
- In a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, water, meringue powder and cream of tartar; beat on low speed just until combined. Beat on high for 4-5 minutes or until stiff peaks form. Divide frosting among three bowls. Tint one red and one blue and leave remaining frosting white. Decorate cutouts with frosting and sprinkles. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Plantation Bars in Best of Country Cookies 1999, p109
Reviews for Plantation Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 10, 2009
"We substituted Just Whites for the meringue powder. We made these bars for a bake sale and received many compliments. We'll make these again. Thanks!Karen"
Reviewed May. 25, 2009
"Very, Very yummy! Everyone enjoyed these!!!!!"