"These golden brown fritters are a favorite in West Africa, where my aunt served as a missionary for 45 years." Make sure the plantains are very ripe, or substitute bananas instead.
14 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 large ripe plantains or bananas, peeled
- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached Self-Rising Flour
- 1 small onion, cut into wedges
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Place plantains in a food processor; cover and process until smooth.
- Add the flour, onion, salt and pepper; cover and process until
- blended (batter will be moist).
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat 1/4 in. of oil to
- 375°. Drop tablespoonfuls of batter, a few at a time, into hot
- oil. Cook for 1 minute on each side or until golden brown. Drain on
- paper towels. Yield: 28 fritters.