Plantain Chips with Citrus Guacamole Recipe
- 3 medium ripe avocados, peeled
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon each lemon, lime and orange juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3 green plantains
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1. In a small bowl, mash avocados with jalapeno, juices and 1/2 teaspoon salt; set aside.
- 2. Peel plantains. With a mandoline or vegetable peeler, cut plantains lengthwise into thin slices. In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Add plantains, a few at a time, and cook for 30-60 seconds or until golden brown, turning often. Drain on paper towels.
- 3. Combine the cumin, cayenne and remaining salt; sprinkle over chips. Serve with guacamole. Yield: 9 cups chips (2 cups guacamole).
3/4 cup chips with about 2 tablespoons guacamole equals 168 calories, 11 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 300 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 1 g protein.
Reviews for Plantain Chips with Citrus Guacamole
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.