This recipe was adapted from one used by my Italian-born mother and grandmother. They used old irons on a gas stove, but now we have the convenience of electric pizzelle irons. The cookies are so delectable and beautiful, they're worth it! —Elizabeth Schwartz, Trevorton, Pennsylvania
84 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 5 min./batch
- 18 eggs
- 3-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/4 cups canola oil
- 1 tablespoon anise oil
- 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, sugar and oils until smooth.
- Gradually add flour and mix well.
- Bake in a preheated pizzelle iron according to manufacturer’s
- directions until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Store
- in an airtight container. Yield: 7 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cookie equals 113 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 45 mg cholesterol, 15 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.