"Kids of all ages will love these pizza-flavored sandwiches," promises Omaha, Nebraska's Jennifer Short. And because the meat-filled buns don't need to thaw before baking, they make an ideal after-school snack.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 10 min. + freezing YIELD:12 servings
- 2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 12 hamburger buns, split
- 3 to 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the soup, oregano, chili powder and garlic salt. Bring to a boil. Remove from the heat; stir in cheeses. Place about 1/3 cup meat mixture on each bun. Brush tops of buns with butter.
- 2. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 7-9 minutes or until cheese is melted. Or wrap sandwiches in foil and freeze for up to 3 months.
- 3. To use frozen sandwiches: Place foil-wrapped buns on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 12 sandwiches.
1 serving (1 each) equals 381 calories, 19 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 76 mg cholesterol, 630 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 23 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC