If you're looking for a change from traditional pizza crust, try this whole wheat version from Kathryn Maxson of Mountlake Terrace, Washington. Covered with your choice of pizza toppings, the homemade crust is thick, tender and tasty.
- 1 cup water (70° to 80°)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 can (15 ounces) pizza sauce
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- Pizza toppings of your choice, optional
- In a bread machine pan, place the first 10 ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
- When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Divide dough in half; press each portion into a greased 12-in. pizza pan. Spread with pizza sauce and sprinkle with cheese. Add toppings if desired. Bake at 400° for 18-20 minutes or until the crust and cheese are lightly browned. Yield: 2 pizzas (8 slices each).
Originally published as Pizza with Wheat Crust in Quick Cooking May/June 2000, p33
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
Reviews for Pizza with Wheat Crust
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review