Pizza Swirls Recipe
My children helped me dream up this snappy bread that tastes like pizza. The from-scratch flavor makes it a family favorite, but it's great for parties, too.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/3 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3-3/4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) sliced pepperoni
- 1 can (4-1/4 ounces) chopped ripe olives, drained
- 1. In a bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add oil, sugar, salt and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; divide in half. Roll each portion into a 12-in. x 8-in. rectangle; set aside.
- 2. For sauce, combine the onion and garlic in a microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 1 minute. Add tomato sauce and basil; cover and cook at 50% power for 3 minutes or until bubbly. Spoon over crust to within 1/2-in. of edges. Sprinkle with 3 cups mozzarella cheese, pepperoni and olives.
- 3. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Cut each roll into 12 slices. Place cut side down on a greased baking sheet. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until crust is golden and cheese is melted. Serve warm. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 168 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 251 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC