While my husband eats tomatoes just about any way I fix them, our daughter would only eat tomato sauce. This recipe came about when I experimented with an old recipe for fried tomatoes. Now our daughter requests these often.Dawn Booth, Somers Point, New Jersey
4-6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons dried basil
- 1-1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium firm red tomatoes, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- Vegetable oil
- Chopped green pepper, optional
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a bowl, combine the flour, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Dip
- tomatoes in flour mixture. In a skillet, fry tomatoes in oil, a few
- at a time, until golden on both sides. Sprinkle with green pepper if
- desired. Top with cheese; cook until the cheese is melted. Drain on
- paper towels; serve warm. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 90 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 254 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.