While my husband eats tomatoes just about any way I fix them, our daughter would only eat tomato sauce. This recipe came about when I experimented with an old recipe for fried tomatoes. Now our daughter requests these often.—Dawn Booth, Somers Point, New Jersey
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons dried basil
- 1-1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium firm red tomatoes, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- Vegetable oil
- Chopped green pepper, optional
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a bowl, combine the flour, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Dip tomatoes in flour mixture. In a skillet, fry tomatoes in oil, a few at a time, until golden on both sides. Sprinkle with green pepper if desired. Top with cheese; cook until the cheese is melted. Drain on paper towels; serve warm. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Pizza-Style Tomatoes in Taste of Home June/July 1998, p14
Reviews for Pizza-Style Tomatoes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review