Pizza Stromboli Recipe
I used to own a bakery, and this bread was one of our customers' favorites. Once they smelled the aroma of pizza and sampled these tempting spiral slices, they just couldn't resist taking some home. -John Morcom Oxford, Michigan
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 25 min. YIELD:16 servings
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 4-1/2 teaspoons honey
- 1 tablespoon nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4-1/2 teaspoons pizza sauce
- 3/4 cup chopped pepperoni
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon each chopped ripe olives, chopped pimiento-stuffed olives and chopped canned mushroom
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in honey and milk powder until well blended. In a small bowl, combine 1 cup bread flour, whole wheat flour and seasonings. Add to yeast mixture; beat until smooth. Stir in pizza sauce. Stir in enough remaining bread flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic; about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll into a 14-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Sprinkle pepperoni, 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, Parmesan cheese, 2 tablespoons mozzarella cheese, onion, olives and mushrooms to within 1/2 in. of edges.
- 4. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal and tuck ends under. Place seam side down on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise for 45 minutes.
- 5. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 1 loaf.
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC