- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 4-1/2 teaspoons honey
- 1 tablespoon nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4-1/2 teaspoons pizza sauce
- 3/4 cup chopped pepperoni
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon each chopped ripe olives, chopped pimiento-stuffed olives and chopped canned mushroom
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in honey and milk powder until well blended. In a small bowl, combine 1 cup bread flour, whole wheat flour and seasonings. Add to yeast mixture; beat until smooth. Stir in pizza sauce. Stir in enough remaining bread flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic; about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll into a 14-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Sprinkle pepperoni, 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, Parmesan cheese, 2 tablespoons mozzarella cheese, onion, olives and mushrooms to within 1/2 in. of edges.
- Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal and tuck ends under. Place seam side down on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise for 45 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 1 loaf.
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
Reviews for Pizza Stromboli
"We subbed Canadian Bacon for the Peperoni just because DD likes it better. I had some fresh mushrooms which I slightly sauted in olive oil and used that instead of canned. My family loves this recipe. I've made it many times; just never reviewed it before."
"Made for Easter and it was a great success. Really liked the tasty crust!"
"My dough ripped all over the place I think I made it wrong. But it was still really good family liked it. I will make it again."
"This recipe is fairly good...but I find that the Calzone Rolls are better ( you can look them up on this website)."
"Hands down the best stromboli I've ever had. My teenage son loves it so much that he has made the entire recipe himself some nights. No store bought pizza crust dough can compare! Definitely a keeper!!!"
"This recipe was fantastic. I used a bread machine to make the bread dough part and turkey pepperoni to cut down on the fat and it was wonderful. This will be one of my favorite recipes."
"My 12 year old loved this! I got away with vegetables IN it that she would have picked off the top of a pizza if she'd seen them. She thought it was a 'cleaner' way to eat pizza."