Pizza Snake Recipe
“Once your snake is filled, rolled and shaped, let the kids paint it. The bread will bake up colorful, yummy and just creepy enough to satisfy the boys and ghouls.” -Jen Spaeth, Ozark, Missouri
- 1 tube (11 ounces) refrigerated crusty French loaf
- 1 jar (14 ounces) Ragú® Homemade Style Pizza Sauce, divided
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 25 slices pepperoni
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Assorted food coloring
- New paintbrushes
- 1. Unroll the French loaf dough into a large rectangle; spread with 1 cup pizza sauce to within 1 in. of edges. Sprinkle with cheese and mushrooms. Cut a forked tongue from a pepperoni slice; refrigerate. Layer remaining pepperoni over cheese and mushrooms.
- 2. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal and tuck ends under. Place seam side down on a greased baking sheet and shape like an "S". Divide egg among several small bowls; tint with food coloring as desired. Paint snake as desired with egg wash.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cut a small hole for the mouth; insert pepperoni tongue. Warm remaining pizza sauce; serve on the side. Yield: 5 servings.
1 slice with 2 tablespoons sauce equals 312 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 64 mg cholesterol, 1,024 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 15 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC